CHRISTMAS SNOWBALL COOKIES
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup unsifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- confectioners’ sugar, for finishing cookies
- Adjust rack to lower third of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream the butter, sugars, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, and salt. Combine dry ingredients with butter mixture to form a soft dough.
- Shape into 1-inch balls (using about 1-½ teaspoonfuls of dough per cookie), and space about 1-½ inches apart on large, parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until bottoms are lightly colored.
- While cookies are still warm on the baking sheets, sprinkle them with confectioners’ sugar through a small sieve. When thoroughly cool, dredge them in confectioners’ sugar for a second coating.